Tuesday, July 16, 2013

One Year of Wedded Bliss {The Ceremony}

Danny and I got married at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Santa Cruz, CA. It has special significance for my family since my dad came back to the church through Holy Cross and my oldest sister Joy was married there as well. It doesn't hurt that it is a beautiful church!


Honestly, the ceremony was so surreal. I couldn't believe it was happening...I was standing behind doors waiting to walk down the isle to Danny. My dad said a prayer with me, and my little nephew Jack stuck his face right up to the glass door to try to get a glimpse at me.




Waving at Jack through the glass doors. 
And then the doors opened, and I saw Danny. I saw Danny and no one else.







Throughout the ceremony, I kept noticing different people who were there with us and I felt so loved! I also remember my niece Maeve, one of the flower girls, catching our attention so that she could show us all the tissues she had collected.
The tissues Maeve was so excited to collect! 
Fr. Cyprian Consiglio presided and our friends, Jackie Francois and Theresa Looker, blessed us with their musical gifts. Susie Kehoe did the first reading from the Song of Songs and Danny's grandpa, Howard, did the second reading from Hebrews. Fr. Cyprian read the Gospel from John and gave a beautiful homily on the four vows of a monk, relating them to marriage.

When it came time to take our vows and exchange rings, we ran into a bit of a problem. You see, the church was quite warm. Santa Cruz is a coastal town, but we were having a remarkably warm (and gorgeous) day. And this old church didn't have the best AC or ventilation, so Danny's hands were a bit larger than the ring. I got a little stressed when I was trying to get the ring on it (if you like it, you should put a ring on it, right?), but I eventually was able to get it on there! And I felt victorious, as you can see in one of the photos below. We ended up having to order Danny a bigger size in the ring since we do live in AZ and heat is just a part of our lives.



Starting to put the ring on... 
Okay, this is getting a little awkward...
Victory! 

The coolest part of the Mass, outside of saying our vows, was the Consecration. Fr. Cyprian had Danny and I stand on either side of him behind the altar. It was amazing to be there, seeing the bread and wine, the Body and Blood, given up for us, as we had just given up ourselves for one another.


And then, when all was said and done, Danny got to kiss his bride!





No comments:

Post a Comment