Monday, July 29, 2013

Clean Living {Homemade Laundry Soap}

For awhile now I have been pinning things on the ever-so-great pinterest about natural living. I think it would be nice to have cleaner cleaning products. Less of the junk and more of the good stuff that gets all the grime and dirt out of clothes and off of floors. I decided laundry detergent would be a great place to start. I've read a thousand different recipes and they are all pretty much the same: borax, washing soda, Brommer's soap (or another type of plain soap bar), often times a good dose of OxiClean, and sometimes some extract for a scent.

Tomorrow I have to do laundry, and we officially ran out of the liquid laundry detergent I purchased from Costco awhile back. So it was now or never. I was either going to buy all the ingredients to make the laundry detergent or I was going to cave and just buy some Tide. I will admit that I almost caved, but I thought it would be a fun project, relatively inexpensive, and make enough laundry detergent to last us FOOOOOOREEEEEVVVEEER (said in the voice from the movie Sandlot...).

Luckily, you can find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store in your laundry isle, which makes it super convenient to make a big batch. You will also need a big bucket to mix all the parts and some air tight containers to store the detergent. I opted for the every so handy and trendy mason jar. Ultimately, I ended up using the recipe from AskAnna.  I did change one thing: instead of buying an essential oil, I just purchased some Brommer's soap that had essential oils added. I went for citrus since it smells so fresh, but there are other options, like lavender and almond. I thought the lavender was a bit too strong, but it was my second choice.


And here you have it! That cute graphic design came from AskAnna as well! I just printed them out on some card stock, glued them down with some modge podge, and that was that! 


I am hoping have cute laundry soap in my trendy mason jars is the first step to transforming our laundry from this...

To this...

Might not be much, but to me, mason jars is a start! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have really been wanting to do this, too! Did you get all of the ingredients from a Fry's type grocery store? Or Sprouts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got everything at Fry's except for the Dr. Brommer's soap which I got from Sprouts.

      Delete