Wednesday, May 22, 2013

End of the (School) Year

Well, for those of you who don't know, I am a teacher. I teach at a school in the Chandler area and have the privilege of reading great literature and discussing great ideas with younger minds. I just wrapped up my third year and I can't believe it. This year was a harder one for me. It required me to have some stick-with-it-ness. As much as I wanted something new and exciting, I knew I had to stick with it. I even started applying for new jobs at some point but realized no job is going to be as flexible with motherhood as teaching. No job gives me two months off for summer, a 3 pm end of day, and the joy of working with people. No job that I could think of at least. (If you have one, let me know!).

Today we had our end of year faculty luncheon. It is really a faculty meeting, but they feed us. If there's one thing you should know, teachers love to be fed. And pregnant teachers love to be fed even more! One of the things we do intermittently throughout the meeting is honor those teachers who won't be returning. I had the privilege of honoring one of my close friends, Kate, as she and her husband will be moving to Dallas. There were also a few other teachers with whom I am friends who will be leaving the school as well. I have had time to process that they are leaving and won't be coming back, but when I first heard, it was really hard for me to deal with it. In all honestly, I was jealous.  I was legitimately jealous. I wanted a new career; I wanted a new adventure; I didn't want to have to wake up and talk to 7th graders every day. Then today, when our headmaster (who is also leaving the school) got up to say farewell, I realized: This is where I am meant to be. Right here. And it is because of her, the headmaster who hired me, that I get to be here.

Three years ago, when she hired me, I was fresh out of college, single, and excited to move to Arizona. I knew God would guide my life, but I was pretty sure that it would take me back to California the next year to attend grad school. Little did I know that I would meet a handsome, holy man, fall in love, get married, and be pregnant three years later! So much for that grad school! And I realized that it has all happened because of Helen's decision to hire me. It is because, whether she knew it or not, she played a role in God's plan for my life. As much as I do not really have a desire to go back and teach next year, mostly because I would rather be a play-at-home mama to our little love, I know that God has put me where I am suppose to be, and He has a plan that will be better than anything I can conjure up on my own. So, here's to (at least) one more year of teaching! I am sure it will be a wild ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment